Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Inspiring Words.

via

I'm a little late talking about General Conference. You see, it's been about 2 weeks then these messages were originally given. For those who don't know, General Conference is a world-wide conference that is broadcasted from Salt Lake City, UT. It happens twice a year (April and October) Leaders from our church speak to us about the principles and topics that help us to be better people. General Conference has always been one of my favorite times of the year. Most of us have difficulties, trials, or questions that are weighing heavily on our minds. General Conference has always been a time that I can pray to my Heavenly Father about these issues and they have always been addressed somehow during that conference. It's comforting to know God answers our prayers, right? We aren't alone and we don't have to go through this life all alone! God is there to help! We just need to ask for it! 

I've been struggling with something for a little while now. It's something that has been on my mind often. Before General Conference, I prayed sincerely to God to please help me understand why I need to experience this. Why do I need to go through this trial? I kind of had the "why me?" way of thinking. I didn't understand. But, I knew if I prayed to God he would answer my prayer as he has done so many times before. 


The conference started and I got out a notebook and a pencil. I wasn't going to miss the answer to my question. All of the messages that were given were very inspiring. I could tell they were inspired from God. With all the craziness going on in the world today, it was nice to hear peaceful and calming messages. One of my favorites was a talk given by Elder D. Todd Christofferson (Quorum of the Twelve Apostles) about the moral force of women. He reminded us, 


“The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.”

I was reminded I need to be tender, kind, virtuous and faithful. As a mother, I feel like that is even more vital. Not only do I need to be the kind of woman described above to please God, I need to be that woman so I can be an example for my daughter and teach her what is right. See what I mean by inspiring messages? But my question still hadn't been answered...

Sunday morning came. We turned the TV on and once again listened to the wonderful messages. President Thomas S. Monson (the Prophet of our church) spoke as the last speaker on the Sunday morning of the Conference. I felt it. I felt the Spirit so strong. It felt like God was speaking directly to me! He was saying, "Hey Ashley, Listen up! You wanted your answer and here it is!" And I did get my answer. I felt so comforted by the words President Monson spoke. He started off by talking about his sweet wife who passed away about six months ago.  He spoke about how he misses her and how this time has been very hard, but the knowledge that he will see her again has comforted him. He said,  


"It may be safely assumed that no person has ever lived entirely free of suffering and sorrow, nor has there ever been a period in human history that did not have its full share of turmoil and misery."

That was what first caught my attention, suffering and sorrow. That is what I was feeling! But that was only the beginning. He also said, 

"When the pathway of life takes a cruel turn, there is the temptation to ask the question “Why me?” At times there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel, no sunrise to end the night’s darkness...We become impatient for a solution to our problems, forgetting that frequently the heavenly virtue of patience is required."

There was my first answer I needed to have patience. As hard as this trial was and how I still didn't understand, regardless of all that; I need to have patience! God will sustain me and help me understand in his own due time.

Then President Monson said, 


"Our Heavenly Father, who gives us so much to delight in, also knows that we learn and grow and become stronger as we face and survive the trials through which we must pass. We know that there are times when we will experience heartbreaking sorrow, when we will grieve, and when we may be tested to our limits. However, such difficulties allow us to change for the better, to rebuild our lives in the way our Heavenly Father teaches us, and to become something different from what we were—better than we were, more understanding than we were, more empathetic than we were, with stronger testimonies than we had before."

This trial would make me better, more understanding, more empathetic and help me gain a stronger testimony than what I had before. I loved that and it definitely brought me comfort. But what about right now? I'm still really struggling on how to survive my trial. I can see that after its over I will be better and more understanding, etc...but what can I do to make the trial easier as I am smack dab in the middle of the trial right now. Then, President Monson reminded me of scripture in Matthew. Matthew 11:28-30, 


28 aCome unto me, all ye that blabour and are heavy laden, and I will give you crest.
 29 Take my ayoke upon you, and blearn of me; for I am cmeek anddlowly in eheart: and ye shall find frest unto your souls.
 30 For my yoke is aeasy, and my burden is light.
Jesus Christ has already suffered and atoned for all of my sins and afflictions. Because of this, He knows exactly what I am feeling. I need to rely on Christ, learn of him and He will give me rest. Rest. That is exactly what I need. 
As I rely on Jesus Christ through this hard time I can feel rested. He will help me to be patient so I can survive my trial and become better, more understanding, more empathetic and gain a stronger testimony than I had before. I know this is true for all of you too! I don't know the details of your life or the personal struggles you find yourself experiencing at this time. But I do know that no one is exempt from going through trials. Difficulties in life happen to everyone! So whatever you are going through right now, remember to rely on Jesus Christ! Our Savior is so willing to help and give us rest! All we need to do is ask for it! That brings me so much peace and comfort! 
via
*This post was extra long! Thanks for letting me express what I was feeling to you! To hear more of the messages that were given at the last General Conference, go here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...